- 1/2 cup Old El Paso Thick 'n Chunky salsa
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (8 medium)
- 2 Tablespoons Old El Paso taco seasoning mix (from 1 oz package)
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inch) cut in half
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese (8 oz)
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup chopped tomato (1 large)
- 2 Tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- Fresh cilantro (if desired)
- Heat oven to 375F. Spray 13x9-inch (3 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix enchilada sauce and salsa:reserve 1/4 cup of the mixture. In large bowl, mix remaining enchilada sauce mixture, the chicken, sour cream, 1/4 cup of the green onions and the taco seasoning mix.
- Spoon reserved 1/4 cup reserved enchilada sauce in bottom of baking dish. Arrange 8 tortilla pieces over sauce, overlapping as necessary. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers. Cover with foil.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until hot. Layer tortilla chips, tomato, olives, remaining 1/4 cup green onions and remaining 2/3 cup cheese over top of casserole. Bake uncovered 5 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro.
This dish is so yummy. The first time we tried it we loved it. I made it while my sister was visiting and her husband said that she needed to get the recipe. It's really one of my new favorites and I'm going to make it for dinner tomorrow.
The recipe in the book calls for 1 large rotisserie chicken, cubed. I buy a bag of the frozen already cooked oven roasted chicken. I cook it in the microwave before adding it to the mixture. The first time I made this I used the rotisserie chicken and it was good but I thought to make it easier and quicker I could use the freezer stuff and it's just as good. Brett (my husband) said he couldn't even tell the difference. The recipe in the book also says that you can make this with ground beef. I have yet to try that but I'm sure it would be good. I thought it might be yummy with some beans and maybe rice added in but then not everyone likes them so I just serve them on the side. Maybe I'll put them in next time.